Monday, July 28, 2008

The New Election

I remember discussing electoral politics with my father when I was in my mid-teens, and during the course of a conversation in which we bemoaned the quality of presidential candidates we came up with...an alternative selection method.

First: Any potential candidate would have to go through a series of psycological tests to determine basic sanity. I'm not talking about the kind of stuff they put astronauts through, just making sure you're not clinically depressed and that you don't worship a statue of Martha Stewart you carved out of a loaf of bread or anything.

After that, you'd be subjected to the most rudimentary skills/education test. Again, I'm not talking about the MCAT or anything. Just making sure you're literate, and can maybe pass a citizenship test or something (which would unfortunately exclude the vast majority of Americans).

After you'd passed this battery of tests, you'd be taken out to a Kansas field during a summer lightning storm and given your own metal "election pole", extending 100 feet into the air, to firmly grip with both hands. If your pole was struck by lightening, well, you were out of contention. You were obviously free to voluntarily let go at any time as well, though that would disqualify you from office. Last person gripping their pole is president.

It kind of combines the Greek election by lot with a sort of trial by ordeal. Sadly, it eliminates our democracy, as going to the polls (pun intended) ceases to be necessary. But, at least you'd find out who really wanted it.

To further consider this farce of an idea, referring back to the beginning of the '08 election cycle, out of all major party candidates, who do you think would have emerged victorious and why?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being that I am one of the least versed and knowledgeable readers of your blog, I would have to say that this is pure genius. I would be curious as to you would think would win this trial by fire so to speak but as far as I have seen in what little I pay attention to our great candidates for commander and chief I would have to say the man or woman with the most passion and respect for the position would have to be Mr. Ralph Nader. I think he just might be crazy enough to be the only one that would take that chance to burn in righteous fire for his ideals. In fact from what I have witnessed of his campain thus far he has pulled no punches and isn't afraid to let the American people know just how wacko he thinks the other candidates are. Not only does he take any opportunity to let us know how he thinks I believe I have seen him ranting on to a televised event with maybe 14 rabid fans of his. Good for you Ralph Nader.

DP said...

Jason,
He does have a certain...zeel, or passion as you put it, that's got to be, at least in some ways, unparalleled. The only problem may well be the PSY tests, he's no spring chicken. As for my choice, I'll give it some thought, and respond soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.