Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ramblings

*I return to TPBP today after having applied for roughly ten thousand jobs in the last twenty four hours.

*The MLK library in downtown D.C., not to mention the DC's central branch, is by far the worst central library I've ever been to. I gave my cheap two year old desktop computer away before moving here, thinking I wouldn't have the space for it (which was true) and that I'd be able to use the computers at the library if I needed to. Not so much. I'd estimate there are fewer than 50 computers with internet access, 10 of which cannot be used for more than 15 minutes and none of which can be used for more than an hour. In my experience the wait for these computers is often around an hour, due to the number of patrons that need them. Printing is really expensive, and there is no way to fax anything. The building itself is rundown and uninviting. I'm not complaining as such, I know the district is amazingly strapped for cash, but when you combine that with a pretty awful public school system, it's sure not helping the district's domestic population any. Don't know if any of my readers regularly make charitable donations, but if you do keep the library in mind. You can donate here.

*Those who feared for my (and all District dwellers) well being will be happy to note that according to weather.com's 10 day forcast it will no longer be 103 degrees next week -- it will only be 97 for two days in a row. No plant alert either. That sound you hear is my basil's sigh of relief.

*I don't know whether the McCain campaign's Paris Hilton/Brittany Spears ad had a subtle racial dynamic or not, but I'd be lying if I said that this post by John Wiley wasn't a little compelling.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hey dude. I like your ramblings... and I miss you here in Athens Ohio