Monday, August 25, 2008

Ayers, McCain and Obama

TPM has the Obama campaign’s response to the American Issues Project’s $3 million dollar ad buy attempting to link Obama to Bill Ayers. I like what the ad is trying to do: it says upfront that Obama denounced Ayers’ crimes (there’s that word again, back from the primary – maybe he should’ve rejected them, too?). What I really like about it, though, is the way it plays on the “McCain is an old man” theme. “Why is McCain talking about the sixties?” The ad mentions that Obama was eight years old at the time.  It's quite a contrast.

It’s pretty strong stuff, I think. I would much rather the campaign dealt with this like it’s a non-issue: why is he even bringing this up? The ad then pivots into the economy, the war, and McCain’s link to Bush. I think this is the tact to take. Don’t dwell on it, and move on to attacking McCain. As they say, more of this.

No comments: