Friday, August 29, 2008

Huh.

Palin. Interesting. Like Andrew Sullivan says, this kinda undercuts McCain’s “inexperienced” argument. My feeling is that this is an attempt to win over disaffected Hillary supporters. It is certainly an unusual choice – I’m surprised (and saddened) that he didn’t pick Romney or Lieberman. On the whole, I think this is a smart choice on McCain’s part, although I don’t know how it’ll play for his base. My assumption was that he was going to throw the hardcore conservatives some red meat. This is a much stranger choice.

3 comments:

DP said...

I know this is very comment du hour, but won't he have to answer "ready from day one" questions about this women forever? And, they'll be legitimate as well. This is a 72 year old guy with a history of health problems, who was a POW for 5.5 years. There is a very real chance that she'll have to be president someday, and she was the mayor of a town of 5,000 people (in Alaska of all places) until recently. She had better be dynamite on the national stage next week. Does he realize what he's done? What if she bombs at the convention next week (which seems quite possible)?

Aaron said...

I have no idea. Ralph Reed is happy, so that's something as far as McCain is concerned, I guess. I agree, though. And how's she going to look debating Joe Biden? I wonder if the intense Alaskan political climate has steeled her for this? I guess I should bone up on my Jack London ...

PW said...

What y'all have said. This is an unexpected choice, guaranteed to keep the airways filled for the next day or two with people talking about their confusion.

But aren't you guys overlooking the fact that he's almost certainly locked up Alaska's 3 electoral votes? Maybe he's been watching too much BSG.