Friday, August 22, 2008

Nobody Knows the Person I've Picked

I haven't really commented on Obama's VP pick since making my official prediction a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not convinced it's a horribly important decision, but I think it's worth noting how amazingly and successfully secretive the Obama campaign has been about this announcement.

This morning on cable news some network had actually put cameras in front of Biden, Bayh, and Kaine's homes, waiting for some indication of who it would be. I also hear all these pseudo-reports of Obama letting the short listers know they didn't make it, and so on. These reports are selective and purposeful leaks from the Obama campaign to keep everyone to the edge of their seats.

I find it remarkable that they've been able to keep the pick so secret. One can only conclude that a very small number of people know, and that the actual VP was told that they'd get the Lucca Brasi treatment if they spilled the beans. I'll be curious to see if McCain can keep everyone guessing until the bitter end.

No comments: