Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Opus, Farewell

It is with great sadness that I note this piece from NPR, indicating that Berkeley Breathed has penned his last Opus cartoon.

Opus' run for President with Bill the Cat on the Radical Meadow Party Ticket back in the late 80's was for all practical purposes my introduction to electoral politics. Many of those characters have been gone for a while, but Opus was still knocking around providing fantastic political satire.

If you have kids, I bet the books Breathed is moving to next will prove wildly inappropriate for them.

Good luck, Berk, and thanks for all the squid and herring jokes.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

It is sad to see Opus shuffle off the national stage again. I loved Bloom County when I was a kid. It seems like all the great comics of my youth are long gone: Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side ... ugh, Bloom County. Ah, well. Such is the way of the world.