Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Vote For Me and Buy This Food Dehydrator

The Obama campaign has put together a half hour infomercial that they’re going to broadcast tonight on a bunch of major networks at eight o’clock tonight. It’s an interesting gambit. As this New York Times story says, the last time someone did something like this was Ross Perot in 1992.

It’s an interesting move, and it really highlights just how much money Obama has been able to raise. It’s incredible what Obama’s done. It also makes me wonder how long it will be until some big money players decide to really get in there and shake an election up. What are we going to do when someone puts down a billion dollars to get a candidate elected? I doubt that McCain is the candidate to inspire a crazy conservative billionaire to do it, but I wouldn’t discount the possibility, especially after the drubbing Obama looks to deliver McCain next week. Bobby Jindal ’12, brought to you by the Coors Corporation.

Anyone planning on watching this thing? As much as I like Obama, it sounds like the kind of saccharine, over produced campaign pap I can’t abide. And, since I’m out of the country anyways, it won’t be hard to avoid. I might try and catch it online tomorrow for the live portion, though. It could be Obama riding around on a unicorn on the Big Rock Candy Mountain with cherubs flying around his head and it would be worth it to me, just for this priceless bit of childish whining from the McCain campaign:
The McCain campaign has seized on the advertisement as excessive, with Mr. McCain pointing to reports that Mr. Obama’s infomercial would bump back the World Series on Fox by 15 minutes. “No one will delay the World Series with an infomercial when I’m president,” he said, in Hershey, Pa.

1 comment:

PW said...

I'll probably watch it, but a 30 minutes talk-piece, described by his campaign as "meaty," on economic policy? Not the stuff prime time ratings are generally made of. I see this thing more as a financial cudgel, the campaign equivalent of what Reagan did to the Soviets: it doesn't matter if anyone watches- McCain has to try to come up with some sort of counter, using funds he doesn't have.