Sunday, December 7, 2008

How about that 2008?

Hi everybody. I've been asked to contribute some music reviews here and would very much like to thank DP for the invitation. 2008 may have been one of the most disappointing years in music I can remember. Hopefully, I can point out the handful of bright spots I managed to find this year among the rubble.

the Everybodyfields-Nothing is Okay (Ramseur 2007)
Okay, okay, so it came out in 2007. Since discovering this gem in early 2008, it hasn't left my cd player for more than a week at a time. You could lump this in the alt-country pile but it is so much more than that. A loosely based concept record chronicling singers Jill Andrews and Sam Quinn's breakup, this is all melancholy emotions and gorgeous harmonies. Quinn has an attentive eye and a deft hand at description, particularly in highlights Be Miner and opener Aeroplane. Definitely my album of the year.

Deerhunter-Microcastles/Weird Era Continued (Kranky 2008)
Deerhunter's previous album, Cryptograms, had such promise on paper- damaged, noise soaked art rock- and honestly, I tried repeatedly. It sounded like two separate bands playing at the same time without listening to each other. Microcastles rectifies this mistake, joining 60's Motown pop songs as played by punks raised on a diet of Sonic Youth with delicious squalls of noise to deliver another contender for album of the year. There is a undercurrent of warmth in these hazy, narcotic lullabies that is missing from virtually all of their peer's music. Pop music for a new generation, this album exceeded my expectations regardless of the massive hype leading up to its release. Highlights for me include Agoraphobia, Never Stops and Nothing Ever Happens.

James Blackshaw-Celeste/Sunshrine reissues (Tompkins Square 2008)
Blackshaw is hands down the winner amongst the current crop of Fahey disciples, winning me over long ago with his debut, O True Believers. Unlike his peers, Blackshaw is not content to merely ape the Fahey style. Blackshaw creates his own 12 string worlds, creating contemplative, spiraling ragas that turn inward on themselves and transcend the label of folk guitar. These reissues show his mastery of form and technique were present very early on, stunning in their scope and beauty. However, you can't go wrong with anything he's done so far.

Okay. I've probably exceeded my Word allowance. Hopefully this was helpful and you'll all go out and buy these from a real record store. Support independant music!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo I like this addition to TPBP.

I have only checked out Everybodyfields so far on youtube and I like them. She has a gorgeous voice. Thanks manfish.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea who these fucking bands are. Plus any music list anywhere should have MC Hammer on it. I don't care if he had an album in 2008 or not.

Anonymous said...

so, are we talking old school, silly pants MC Hammer, or the "pumps and a bump", Funky Headhunters thong wearing hard-core Hammer?

DP said...

From a comedic standpoint I think we've exhausted old-school Hammer. So I'd like to register a vote for hard-core.

manfish said...

I, too, am all for the banana in a hammock OG, later days Hammer. Seems to go better with the mood of the world these days...