Sunday, December 21, 2008

The music grew a little quieter this year.

I love Pretty Mighty Mighty.

For those of you who don't know, and I assume that that is everyone that will initially read this, Pretty Mighty Mighty were an indie-flavored band formed in the early 1990's in Athens, Ohio, eventually moving to Columbus after everyone graduated from Ohio University. They have steadfastly remained one of my favorite bands for the last 15 years. As the current "music guy" on this blog, I would be remiss not to mention the passing of Noel Sayre, PMM's (and more recently, the Black Swans) violinist.

I would be lying to you if I told you Noel and I were friends. More the type to nod at each other the two or three times a year our paths crossed. Not because Noel was unfriendly or unapproachable. No, Noel was about as nice as they come. Unbeknownst to him, some of my very first memories of live music, the truly visceral power of instruments and amplifiers right there in front of you, are tied directly to Pretty Mighty Mighty. We weren't friends or acquaintances because he was Noel fucking Sayre!!!! Yep, a bit starstruck. Pretty Mighty Might shows were some of the first live shows in Athens to absolutely melt my face and show me that dissonance and beauty can be one and the same. Their songs are the soundtrack to me growing into my twenties, to first loves and tragic losses, to discovering myself as a person and to the repeated times I've lost myself as a person. I have listened to them for comfort in 4 different countries. I repeat, I love Pretty Mighty Mighty.

Oh, I know that Noel (and Jon, Neal and John-the rest of PMM) wouldn't have liked me thinking this way, as he was a very down to earth guy. I also realize how silly it is of me to put Noel on such a pedestal. But the truth of the matter is, he is a fundamental part of my growing up, and will undeniably remain intertwined with my life from here on out. My heart goes out to anyone who was ever blessed by Noel's friendship or touched by his music.

I wish I could find a current link for the band (this is the best I could do), and I recommend this for a much better explanation of who Noel was and how he passed away. I highly recommend Ugly, their debut. Hell, I highly recommend all of their music. Check out the Black Swans, as well (not everybody's pint of ale, but very cool, nonetheless). If for some reason you can't seem to find anything, and I'm looking at you Nick, drop me a line here, I'll see what I can do.

Rest in peace, Noel. You will be missed.

No comments: