Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Episode IV

I am reasonably certain that among American historians, 20 January 2009 is going to compete with 11 September, 2001 as the real beginning of the 21st century.

Some have suggested that the long national nightmare is over. With Obama already moving to dismantle Gitmo by suspending military hearings, and freezing Bush's executive orders with an eye toward reversing them, I am prepared to entertain that idea. On the other hand, Justice John Roberts managed to flub the oath of office, which was still administered with the inclusion of the (possibly illegal) line "...so help me god" not actually found in the Constitution, and the Dow fell 4% yesterday, for those paying attention to such things.

Still, yesterday rings in my head. The speech was simply masterful- a certain justice that Bush et al had to sit feet away and listen to millions of Americans cheer the repudiation of their ideological foundations. The comparisons to JFK are becoming cliche, and are in my opinion also becoming obsolete. Obama is already beginning to stand in the light of his own reputation. In the space of less than a day.

I won't join the ranks of those who call this a new beginning- that redundancy doesn't really apply to the business of government. What we have this morning is rather a new hope. I will, happily and proudly, join the ranks of those who see this as yet another step toward a more perfect realization of the American idea. I look forward with eager anticipation to watching the next few hours, days, weeks, unfold.

No comments: