Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thoughts on Offering Thoughts on Gaza

I've put a bit in a bit of thought recently concerning where this blog has gone (and is headed) and to what degree I should consider a somewhat tighter focus. In particular, when I read about and consider events as they unfold in Gaza I'm of two minds about how to approach them. One we will call the Ta-Nehisi corollary of "only blog(ging) about things I'm prepared to argue about". I'm not really prepared to argue about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict outside of the very broad outlines of what you might hear on NBC nightly news. Would I argue with Yglesias or Klein (among many, many others)? Probably not. Even on this blog, my foreign policy knowledge and synthesis lag behind posters PW and Aaron. There's also the consideration of whether anyone actually uses this blog as an outlet to catch up and discuss news events (somewhat doubtful).

But, what I've also learned from doing this over the past half year is that putting my opinions out into a public forum (even if they're not really critiqued or read by a large number of people) is valuable. Regardless of the prior paragraph, I desperately want to have something valuable to contribute on issues like these since, to employ a cliche, you gotta crawl before you can walk. So, to the entire TPBP community, thanks for reading as I try to take a few careening steps.

Translation: Expect a post on Gaza in a little bit.

No comments: