Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DNC Convention: Day 1 Recap

Nancy Pelosi: Pelosi's speech was just kind of weird. I've always been a big fan of hers politically, but during this speech she seemed on edge (nerves maybe), as though it were an act of will for her to stay on message. I thought the writing was poor as well. As for the "Barack Obama is right, and John...McCain...is wrong!", I'll just say it wasn't the stuff of rhetorical legend. I know Republicans have made juvenile crap the politics du jure, what with tire gauges, and waving flip-flops at their last convention, but this strikes me as gimmicky and not serious. Was the crowd supposed to follow along? It seemed so. I'd rather she just clearly and seriously said the same thing with the tone of authority of someone who should know, rather than use it to get the crowd pumped up. I know it's a big party, but it's not Wrestlemania.
Rating: 1.5 of 5

Caroline Kennedy: Rating her speech is difficult as I'm tempted to rate this on a curve because she's just not a particularly compelling speaker. That said, I thought she did well. She seemed more at home discussing "Teddy" (which makes sense) than politics, and it didn't come off as contrived, which was the only real worry. Comparisons of her father to Obama are hard to dismiss, as I don't remember her going to that well before.
Rating: 3 of 5

Ted's Video Tribute: Given the circumstances as they relate to his health, his family's legacy within the party, and the growing consensus of him as one of the party's elder statesman, this would have been impossible to screw up, and they didn't. It's worth watching, and may have been the most memorable moment of the evening.

Ted Kennedy: His speech is complicated for me. It's impossible not to admire the determination to be involved given his recent diagnosis with a brain tumor, and the moment was pretty inspiring, but it would be an intentional oversight to leave it at that. I've seen literally dozens of hours of speeches he's given, and have even had the opportunity to catch him in person on the Senate floor on a couple of occasions, and he's clearly struggling a bit -- but only a bit. His words were halting at times, and it appeared that he had some problems following the teleprompter at others. I should add that there was nothing embarrassing about his address at all, and that if you'd never seen him speak before, you might not have noticed -- but, I have and I did. I thought his tone was good, but I thought the writing was only pretty good, not great. If time permits, I'm going to do another post on the speech I would have written if given the opportunity, as I think he could have been really special.
Rating: 3 of 5

Michelle Obama: I thought the speech was quite good, given the parameters that had been set for it by everyone else: you've got to iterate the Obama's American story, make them seem less exotic, tie them to the American dream etc. I acknowledge the necessity of this, but find the premise to be wrapped in a lot racial undertones that I find offensive. So, nonobjective me is left with a speech that went well, but that I wish didn't have to be given. There's no denying that she's a strong, intelligent women, and for what it's worth, would make an excellent first lady. She's certainly a role model for me in terms of using her extensive education to change her local community.

I know everyone loved the bit with their kids at the end, but there's a nearly Pavlovian adverse reaction I have to kids on stage in situations like this. I just don't like to see them used as political pawns, no matter how useful and effective it might be -- and don't kid yourselves (pun intended), pawns they were. The same as kids at pro-choice or pro-life demonstrations holding signs. Probably the same reason I'm queasy about kids at church. Exposure is one thing, but advocacy?...perhaps I'm being a political prude, as I'm not about to argue the kids were somehow damaged by their appearance (they probably loved it). I'd be curious as to the thoughts of others.
Rating (on anyone questioning the Obama's "Americanism"): 0 of 5
Rating: for Michelle Obama's speech: 4.5 of 5

What did everyone else think? Feel free to treat these posts as open threads to post whatever you'd like as it relates to the convention.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted her to be terrific. I wanted her to show America (read: undecided voters) that she was real, genuine, All-American, etc., blah blah. But against my will, she seemed inauthentic. I realized that it was because, as opposed to good orators, it felt as if the words were not hers, that she, like her children, were pawns put there for appearances; a living bumper sticker if you will. Although I was desperate for a 5.0, I'd have to give it more like a 1.77.

PW said...

Well, last night was a rude return to the experience of political conventions, having been out of the country for an election cycle or two. I forgot that I find them nearly unwatchable, especially with the sound on.

My TV spells his name "Boirak."

Anyway, I agree with many of your sentiments, DP. Pelosi looked like she'd been handed the script 30 minutes before she walked on stage- that moment gaveling open the convention while continuing to talk was akin to watching the Speaker of the House try to pat her head while rubbing her belly. I sure wish we could see more fire out of her. I also noticed Teddy's occasional stumbles, but it's kind of hard to be overly critical of the guy- in my opinion, he'd be doing well to be waving from the audience, perhaps from the row behind Biden, let alone jockeying the podium.

I don't really know what to do with Michelle- as you pointed out, she walked in there with such enormous and contradictory expectations, it's hard to know what would have been ideal. Yes, she is obviously intelligent and competent- but still just a mom! Yes, the wife of a senator who would be president- but look at their typical American background! I understand why many would describe all of this as necessary- but I bet Obama makes his speech without little kids on the stage. They both should- typical people don't get to headline this sort of party.

So, bring on Day 2. I am eager to see if they can really tame the Hill Genie, letting a few delegates vote and then shutting down the voting sounds like a recipe for something to go embarrassingly wrong. Good times!

DP said...

Anonymous,
Being inauthentic is a pretty serious charge when someone is discussing their own life story. What part did you find uncompelling? And, to the charge that she was a pawn, I can only say so what? After all, it's a big orchestrated event. The only reason I draw a dichotomy between her and the kids is that, in a sense, the kids don't really get to choose to be there. I'm not understanding the parallel you're drawing.