Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DNC Convention Rules of the Game

I'll be doing the DNC convention recaps in a movie review format, complete with ratings -- using the traditional star scale, with zero stars being the worst possible score with five stars being the best.

I wanted to come up with something to award other than stars (like elephant snouts or AARP discount points, etc.) but couldn't come up with anything clever. So, I'm opening this up to our wide readership. If any of you offer a witty enough suggestion, you'll have my gratitude, as well as front-runner status in Commenter of the Week. I'd offer cash, but I'm sure that's enough incentive.

2 comments:

PW said...

I assume that you are looking for a scale that can be used for both conventions, rather than having to invent a new one for each.

Ok, well the most obvious scale would be points/percent, as in, "That speech was probably worth 3 points for McCain."

More visual suggestions include:
-gavels
-balloons
-bucks (contributed to the party after the speech)
-ovations

Or, perhaps most interestingly, you could invent your own scale, based on the perceived merits of your favorite presidential (or any other) speaker - this would require a key, but then you would have invented a metric. "It was a good speech, but I still favor medicare- 3 Reagans." "I no longer care what my country can do for me!! 5 Kennedys!" etc. etc.

Aaron said...

I think this might be more for the Republican National Convention, but maybe something like the Daleys or the Smashed Hippies?