Saturday, August 30, 2008

Housekeeping

As some of you know (and many of you don't), after quite a lot of effort and rejection, I finally got a job on Capitol Hill. It's very low level and the work won't be glamorous, but it's a start and a chance, and that's all I needed.

As happy as I am, an unfortunate reality of my new position is that my relationship with The Pseudo Body Politic will have to dramatically change. Specifically, to continue to editorialize on political issues, and directly administrative this blog will be incompatible with working as a Congressional staffer.

So, I'd like to announce that, beginning Tuesday, I will be handing all administrative duties for TPBP over to the capable hands of my co-blogger Aaron. More importantly, I will end my commentary over all domestic and even most international political issues (damn it all, I was starting to enjoy those running diaries).

Fear not, as I plan on remaining an active contributor to this blog. Things like "The Extinct Blog of the Day" will continue, as will me complaining endlessly about the DC public library system. With Aaron's permission, I will also continue to do the "Week in Review" and hand out of the commenter awards. As many of the topics I previously commented on will no longer be available, I've got a couple of tricks up my sleeve and will be unveiling several other regular segments into the works here at TPBP in the next week. I'm also in discussions with one or two other capable individuals to make weekly or bi-weekly posts so that the insightful analysis that has always been the focus of TPBP will continue, and Aaron doesn't drown in the responsibility of carrying the full editorial load.

When I started TPBP six weeks, 145 posts, and 55,000 words ago I could never have predicted the degree to which I'd come to enjoy the small but vibrant community that was created. I wanted something that would take up time while I pursued the first step of my occupational dream. Little did I know that it would sharpen my editorial and writing skills, and give me an excuse to make myself even more interested and knowledgeable about politics and current events. Though it's difficult to be sure, I think the creation and maintenance of this blog were at least a small part of the reason I got the aforementioned job, which is press related.

This is starting to read too much like a farewell address, which is stupid since I'm not going anywhere, but I'd by lying if I said I wasn't sad about not being able to engage in the analysis and ensuing discussions that I've found so personally rewarding on a daily basis. Thanks again to everyone for reading, writing, and commenting. I have and continue to appreciate it more than you know.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Like I said before, congratulations, buddy. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I'm excited for you. And maybe, when I come back to the States, this will help me get a job, too! A man can dream ...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a drink with some friends across the river. Not quite as exciting as your news, but I do what I can with what I have.