Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Hat tip to the pseudo girlfriend for pointing this out, but has anyone else noticed how amazingly normal people in anti-depressant medication commercials look? Oh, they're doing contemplative things like looking out windows and taking off their glasses to see things on the desk, i.e. things normal people do all the time. The only way in which they look depressed is by comparison; if you juxtapose them with the ridiculous, inordinate degree of smiles, joy, and good-lookingness that comprise all other commercials.

I generally avoid shit like this, but it's hard not to see the implicit message: depressed people look normal, which while it might be true on some level, still gives me the willies.

Update: I just received a text from my partner, dissatisfied at the "pseudo" moniker. Suffice to say that she is, in all things (amongst them displeasure it would seem) the real McCoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or How about when they are sitting there watching TV longingly? It's Freaky... Because then I realize I am watching the TV longingly.... which makes me think I am depressed.... but then I realize I would be paying more attention to my facial expressions if I wasn't on my third glass of Jack Daniels... which makes me smile... so then I feel better about myself... then I realize I am laughing at the people on the commerical... which makes me feel bad about myself... and then I think I am depressed

Moral of the story: AstraZeneca should be brought up on a RICO charge

Anonymous said...

OK... that previous comment was from me.... I clicked the Enter button before I could put in my ID... which made me feel bad about myself.... which made me feel depressed... but now I have no Jack Daniels to continue the cycle

I amend my previous post, TPBP should be brought up on a RICO charge

Anonymous said...

no more posting on booze for you DB.

DP said...

RICO huh? We were aiming for obscenity. Suppose we'll take what we can get.