Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Extinct Blog of the Day

Today's sad blog belonged to "the dealio", and followed the Seattle Supersonics, who ripped the heart out of a great fan base and moved to Oklahoma City to become the Thunder this year. It's both funny and sad seeing dealio's final posts as the Sonics finally departed Seattle. Bill Simmons, a formerly great sportswriter, who's now just intermittently good and well on his way to being the next Rick Reilly, pretty much hit all the nails on the head detailing the Sonics demise. Despite the above swipe his stuff's actually worth checking out.

On a side note, after a lifetime of being a Cincinnati Bengals fan, I'm really giving some thought to following the Redskins now that I'm in DC. Anyone have any thoughts on this? It's a little on the pathetic side, as I'm not sure it'd be considering it minus the Bengals being so unlikable, but here I find myself...

Perhaps we could formulate some pros and cons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should give up on the Bengals, b/c as soon as you do, they'll win the Super Bowl. But if you're looking to free yourself of futility, don't go for the Skins. In fact, don't go for football at all. Unless, of course, it's soccer. I'm thinking of becoming an Arsenal fan myself.

Anonymous said...

It's not like you're turning in a turd for a golden egg, so I can't call you a fair-weather fan or anything. I see no reason for you to stay with the bengals to be honest. There's no joy in watching them, and unless you've got some sort of nfl package, you probably can't watch them most of the time anyway. Although if there's one person on TPBP who needs a new team to follow, it's PW.

DP said...

First of all, don't become a damned Arsenal fan. Please. I'm a Newcastle man myself, and though you're free to pick whoever you'd like, I would look upon a foreign national that moved here and became a Yankee's fan to be a wanker. That might not be the equivalent of becoming an Arsenal fan (probably more like ManU), but it's definitely close.

To nick's point, the TV thing does matter, though I think I saw the Bengals play either 5 or 6 games this year, which, let's be frank, was plenty. I'll always get to see both Baltimore games, any game they play against Philly or the Redskins, and any MNF or Sunday night games. I just plain don't like this current team. I don't like the coach, I don't like most of the players. I don't like the play calls, or the (lack of) effort. I guess I've got the off season to consider it.

The point about PW's allegiance is actually incorrect I think. If you're still a fan, I mean if you really made it through this 0-16 debacle; if you just finished rooting for the most futile team that ever put on an NFL uniform and THEN you stopped caring about them, you're just an idiot. If you jumped off at midseason ok, but now? Next year's absolutely got to be better. Millen's gone, so's the coach, you got the #1 pick, etc. It would be like selling your stocks when the DOW got down to 500. Hang on PW.

Anonymous said...

DP: You can crack on Arsenal all you like, but Newcastle? Please. The advantage of being a fair weather fan is to trade up. If you're going for Newcastle, a decidedly middle-of-the-pack Premier team, then you might as well stick with the Bengals. If it's a Yankees analogy you want, then Chelsea's your team. But being a Newcastle man is a bit like moving to the States to be a Reds fan.